- to the height of it all -

9.23.2014

5 things









guilt is not a good motivator.
i have no idea why i thought the shame associated with eating a whole vegan pizza would be enough fuel for me to begin a juice fast the next day. as a former emotional binger, i have felt plenty of food shame and i still didn't lose weight. my motivation, interestingly enough, is not linked to emotions.

impulsiveness and spontaneity are short-lived novelties.
deciding to jump straight into the fast cold turkey due to said guilt/shame only made me feel good about how "strong" i was for about 1.2 days. after that, the realities of how irresponsible that decision was became VERY apparent.

willpower runs out.
i tend to think and operate in a dualistic mindset. so when i read switch and the authors discussed how no one has enough willpower to institute a variety of big changes all at the same time, i thought it was interesting but somewhat pandering to lazy people (like myself). i, just like everyone else, has an incredible amount of willpower that i exert on a daily basis. this time, due to a variety of academic and social pressures i have been experiencing lately, i didn't have enough to go around for the fast.

go big or go home doesn't always apply.
why did i decide on 10 days for my first time? and i was even thinking of doing it the full 60 days like joe, who is clearly a special case. why i didn't see the validity in trying a few days at a time and building up to something bigger is beyond me.

"resetting" your diet without resetting your mindset is futile.
the main reason for completing the fast should've been to further augment my desire to improve upon my health (which i am doing as a vegan), not as some crazy crash diet to make me feel better about that pizza. food is not evil, and not eating it shouldn't be some sort of entryway into being "good."

i am determined to make a juice fast work because i don't like quitting and i am really interested in the results. (plus, crossing things off of my 30x30 gives me a serious high!)
but i will be much more mindful of transitioning into it as opposed to going cold turkey, and i will ensure i start at a time when i have no large commitments/stressors.

in essence, i really need to do what i normally do best: plan!

linking up with chantel

in pursuit of:
treating each perceived failure as a learning opportunity in an effort to combat my irrational fear of failure (a 30x30 honorable mention)

15 comments:

Kelly Del Valle said...

Hi! I just hopped over from jack of all trades! :) I really like the idea you have behind the pinnacle project - very inspiring. Best of luck with the second round of juice fasting!

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

I lost my willpower pretty quickly after doing one of these too. It's not easy!

Harlem said...

I really like your last point "resetting your diet without resetting your mindset is futile." Resetting our mindset when we set out to do ANYTHING is the key!


I look forward to reading about your juice fast and reading about the benefits.

Rachel G said...

And yes--I loved your point about how food isn't evil! It's needed for our bodies--just sometimes different foods and different amounts than what we prefer to eat, but it's needed!

Relaxed Thairapy said...

Resetting the mindset is a must. I am not a good dieter but I'm an excellent gym chick. Rather than focusing on diet, I've been hitting the gym. I hate cardio. Rather than focusing on cardio, I'm hitting the weights. I'm doing what feels right. Trying to force things that were not my thing led to total failure.

C Michelle said...

I love your honestly! We all fall short! I never diet because I never keep up with them, I have learned just to work out n' eat what I want.

*Besos*

http://www.cmichellestyles.com

Instagram: Cmichellestyles

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

Thanks so much, Kelly!

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

It definitely isn't... I honestly just didn't go into it the right way or for the right reasons.

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

Thanks, Harlem!
You're always so supportive :)

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

Exactly!

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

Thanks so, so much! I am thinking I will try again over winter break when I won't have any serious deadlines or a real need to overexert myself in any way! Haha :)

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

You're so right.
I think I struggle because I do know I need to lose weight and my diet has been the main difference. I can work out forever and still never lose a pound or change my body - i HAVE to do it in conjunction with a diet of some sort in order to see results :-/

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

We definitely do!
I love that you can do that - I wish that worked for me!
But it will all work out :)

Yalanda_Meshell said...

This is such an honest reflection and I agree. Start out small. A juice fast is tough! Really tough! But you know that already!

Britt @ The Pinnacle Project said...

Thanks so much! I definitely will start smaller next time!